Thursday, September 25, 2008

3 days down - 45 more to go

"What did I sign up for??" The question I asked myself when I stepped off the plane at the Djibouti International Airport... Actually, that wasn't the first time I had asked that. It crossed my mind when I landed in at the Addis Abada International Airport in Ethiopia; and then was stuck there for approx 8 hours waiting for my flight to arrive. Good times!!

Stepping off the plane in Djibouti was an experience in mild suffocation. Djibouti is located 11 degress North of the Equator and opens into the Gulf of Adan at the end of the Red Sea. The humidity hovers right around 60-70%. Even at night, when there is no sun, it feels like your walking through a sauna. Can you say 'fabulous'??. Luckily every office you walk into has A/C.

Have I convinced you to come to Djibouti?? Well, as I adjust to the heat and the time change, it gets a little better. I have my own room with AC, my meals are paid for ( I get to eat in the Navy chow hall every day), and I get a bunch of exercise because I have to walk a mile from my room to my office every morning and evening. I'm sure I'll lose a little weight while I'm here.

The work is challenging, but I'm able to bring my experience to the table and I'm being pushed to learn some new things. This will be good overall.

Stay tuned for some pics and further snippets of my journey.

Until then.... crd

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And to think you left the mansion in 29 Palms for this! Glad to year you're adjusting. And I thought the first week in language training was the longest year of my life!!

Bekah said...

awww, dad i love you! you're pretty awesome and your blogs can be pretty darn funny just cuz some of your phrases remind me of she's the man... hah someone at school did that Syndrome nose-wipe and i though of u :]
I love ya! Be safe... and healthy, don't forget what mr.maciel said!